Friday 19 September 2008

WOHOO!!!!

Update 19/09/2008 - WOOHOO!!! I reached Cap de Creus and finished the trek at around 4.45 yesterday, 18/09/2008. Arriving in 44 days. I am currently in Port De La Selva and plan to spent the next couple of days chilling out and recouperating on the beech here before getting a train from Figueras on the 21st.The last few days have been the toughest of all. A few days ago when I reahed the castle of Requesens I found all the water sourses to be dry or poluted. I had already walked 16 miles but I knew that if I pressed on to the next fountain 6 miles away, I could do do the rest of that day and the next in one more day and be on track to complete the trek in 44 days, the traditional target. And so I pressed on. I was out of water. As I walked it got dark. I carried on as it was a full moon and a nice walm night to walk in. Soon I heard gunfire coming from a distance ahead of me. It was far away so I wasn´t worried, probably hunters. When I reached the next well, it was dry as well. I was very thirsty by this point. The next well was a few miles so I carried on. The gunfire now got pretty close and was coming from a farm I had to pass. When I did pass it, two enourmous dogs came out and ran after me barking. I didn´t want to attrack the attention of the hunters so I made a swift exit, soon I lost the dogs and reached the next fountain. It was dry as well! This wasn´t good. I had already walked half of the next day, the next water point wasn´t until the end of the section, 8 miles away. I pressed on with aching feet but as I walked down a small track, I found a huge angry dog blocking my path which went strait for me barking! I was forced to turn back and it didn´t follow me too far. Looking at the map, there was a town 2 km to the south and so I headed there. There could be a water point. Every farm I wallked past had large dogs which went mad as I passed but soon I got there. The town was full of dogs again which began barking as I entered the town and to avoid waking every one up I had to pass by. I carried on, taking a different route towards the end of the section where I knew I could find water while the night seemed alive with gunfire and wild dogs!Eventually I reched the town at the end of the setion at 4am. There I found a water point having walked 32 miles, 16 with no water. To tired to look for a place for my tent I got a few hours sleep in a bus shelter. I was woken by a landrover pulling up across the road at 6.30am. A man got out, produced a shotgun from the back seat and pointed it right at me! He hadn´t seen me but was trying to unload the gun. I struggled for a few seconds to find the right words in spanish but eventually came up with "OI!!" He looked at me and laughed before pointing the gun in another direction. That was enought rest for me and I carried on into the next day. I just wanted to rech the coast so badly, I didn´t care how exhorsted I was or how much my feet hurt. I made it to El Port De La Selva eventually and booked in at the first campsite I found, there I slept for 10 hours. the next day, yesteray, I got up, took only what I needed for the day and limped on for Cap De Creus, 10 miles to the east. Eventually I made it but knowing that I had a 10 mile walk back in the dark made it a bit of an anticlimax. I was to tired to be releaved or happy. eventually I got back to the campsite at midnight and sleptuntil 8. Today I feel alot better and have spent the day skimming stones on the beach. I can´t really explain how I feel. I can´t believe that I have really walked 500 miles across the mountains, from one coast to the other, the idea just seems laughable. I feel releaved that I have not let anyone who supported and sponsored me down. I feel a bit sad that all the preperation, the planning and the walking is over, at the same time I feel happy that I will soon see the people I love again. I can´t wait for that.
Thank you to everyone who has followed this blog, believed in me, supported and sponsored me. I hope to see you all again soon, and that lovely rainy town of Sheffield.

4 comments:

Barrie Fairhurst said...

Hey David - Well Done! People reading this will not understand what you have been through but I do. Enjoy El Port and the beach. I will buy you a pint if im ever in Sheffield. Barrie

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog while dreaming about going back to do this all again myself - my account from 2003 is at http://www.davidgilbert.org.uk/GR11/.

Sopunds like you had a fantastic time - we did it in contrasting weather, the driest year in Spain for decades!

David

Anonymous said...

p.s. we were living in Sheffield back then, now out in the Peak.

David

Dorothee said...

Hi David! Just wanted to let you know that i read your book "Lost Mountain" about your hike through the Pyrenees. Enjoyed it a lot, and now just blogged about it: http://virtual-notes.blogspot.de/2013/03/book-joys.html

You aren't on Goodreads, or? Might be an idea to register there, many authors are around. Best, Dorothee