Monday 8 September 2008

Sorry for the lack of updates

I´ve been updating on facebook but have only managed to get online for a limited period twice since I´ve been here. To summerise, here we go.

Hello to everyone! This is the first chance I have had to update since arriving in Irun on 04/08/2008. I am now in Ochagavia, a very beautiful little town on day 7 of the trek. To sum up everything that has happened so far... On the night before starting the trek, at the campsite Higer in Irun a drunk Frenchman fell over my tent breaking the pole, after an argument which neither of us understood he ran away leaving me to find a new tent the next day. I set out early but it was 2 pm before I had found a replacement, however it is much better quality and up to the task at hand. Due to this delay I was late setting out to Vera. Halfway I was caught in the biggest storm I have ever seen and pelted with halestones the size of golfballs. It got dark I had to bed down in a field which quickly flooded soaking me and the new tent.After a night cowering in the porch of my tent, I pressed on through Vera and out the other side to wild camp up on the hill. After another night of thunder and rain I pressed on again. I walked 4 miles in 2 hours before passing a couple I had seen in Vera who pointed out that I was heading in the opposite direction! I realised they were right when I passed my campsite. How I managed the massive 4 mile circle, I will never know! So far I was quite exhosted and things had not been going well. I quickly caught up with them and we got talking, their names are Anna and Xerra and we have trekked together since, they are doing the GR11 for the next 2 weeks, so I now have walking buddies and since meeting them my luck has turned completly. That night we met 6 other people doing the GR11 and went for a sabatha in Elisondo.Two nights ago we met an Irishman, John, A Canadian, Rebecca, and a Swissman, Micheal who were on the Pilgrimage from Santiago. We went for dinner and had a great time. Last night we found our selves in a very small farming village with one hostal which was not fit for human habbitation. After finding cat poo in the beds and a heated argument between Anna, Xerra and the hillbillies renting it out we elected to leave and find somewhere else to sleep. 5 other people who were staying there, including a 65 year old man coming the other way, having already completed 40 days of the GR11, rallied behind us and everyone walked out. Someone had seen a sports hall next to the village church with the door ajar and we invaded, setting up camp right inside and even hanging a washing line in the courtyard to stake our claim! The villagers didn´t seem to mind and I got a great nights sleep. Tonight we are camping in a proper campsite for the first time with showers and everything!The walk has been very tough physically and required a real effort from mind and body but things are getting easier and today we were amazed at the progress we have already made. 7 days down and 39 to go. Only two blisters so far and no injuries to speak of. I hope that everyone there is well, I think of you every day and I look forward to a massive get together when I return. The beard is coming on well. I will update again as soon as I can.Update 31/08/08 - I am now in La Guinguetta in Catalunya Day 26 of the Trek. I am on my own now as Ana and Xavi finished on day 15, and Jordi has gone climbing with a friend.The last few days have been tough and tomorrow is due to be the toughest of them all with a 1200 meter asent over just 5 km, however I am well past half way and nearing Andorra. My knees, back and feet are holding out and today I am totally blister free for the first time since i began. The highlight of the past few days has been meeting a Siberian man who has been living in a mountain hut here for a year.Update - I am now in Puigcerda having completed day 35 of the trek. Just 11 more to go! I cannot believe I am still going or that the journy is begining to near its end as I am now out of the high mountains. Coming down to the flat valley today was an incredable experiance, I have not seen flat ground or fields for over a month. Hopfully it should be all down hill from here on and pretty flat after day 40.The weather is also begining to come down as early Autum sets in here. They say the seasons do change very quickly here and I have seen this to be true. I have already experianced sub zero temperatures at night. I miss everybody back home greatly and thankyou all for following my trek so far. I cannot wait to get home to beer, friends, pizza, icecream, TV, computer games and everything else I used to take for granted. All I have to do now is just keep going and remember that every step brings me closer to home. I should finish around the 18th and hope to be back in Sheffield for the 25th. See you all soon.

2 comments:

Barrie Fairhurst said...

Nice one David - I hope you survived the descent in Pineta ok. I know the view you refer to when dropping out of the high mountains into 'Big Country'. Beware drunken frenchmen.

Barrie

David Bryan said...

Thanks man´. I´ve made it! It´s done. What is with those drunken Frenchman, they are almost as bad as the brits!