Tuesday 1 July 2008

Getting Nervous

Well the tickets are here, the maps are here. The passport isn't but hopefully will be as I only sent it off to get renewed 2 weeks ago! Disorganized or what? I have now handed my notice in at work. My last day will be Thursday 24/07/2008. I will really miss Atos Healthcare, where I've been for 4 years, I have made some of the best friends of my life there, but it is time for pastures new and I must not have any regrets.
From reading www.walkingthepyrenees.blogspot.com, I see the weather is improving (If you can call, it getting incredibly hot, improving!) Some of their way has been blocked by avalanches, snow and washed away bridges so I will have to see if these have been cleared when I get out there. It sounds like they're having an adventure anyway.
Good luck to Colin and company, I can't wait to trace their steps.

1 comment:

bykerColin said...

Hi there David. Thanks for your comments on the Walkingthepyrenees blog.

I will be updating our site with some more detailed information over the next couple of weeks but if you have any specific questions then drop me a mail at bykercolin@yahoo.co.uk and I will try to help.

My main advice is to take as little as possible to carry. I suggest a MAXIMUM of 12kgs. It is going to be VERY hot. Barcelona is 35 degrees at the moment although the high mountains will be cooler, but its comment to get BIG storms in the late afternoon so waterproofs are essential too!

Have you done long distance walking before? My only experience had been two weeks in the Lake District and although I run marathons walking for 47 days is tiring physically and mentally. But don´t let me put you off, the Pyrenees are amazingly beautiful and the people along the way are very friendly. Do you know Spanish/Basque/Aragonese or Catalan? Very few people speak English, which makes it worth learning some essential words! Let me know if you have any questions. Cheers.