Saturday 17 May 2008

BBC Radio Sheffield

Well today I had a live interview with Howard Pressman on Radio Sheffield. After being fed some of the nicest vegetarian food I have ever tasted, I had a 10 minute interview. I thought it went ok although there were a few ums and arrs and I managed to say degrees instead of meters!
It was an excellent opportunity to have been given by the BBC and followed letters and e-mails I had sent out to the local radio stations, papers and equipment and medicine suppliers. The response from the rest of these has been fairly low as most already have designated charities which they will sponsor. I have realised that it is harder to get support if the charity you are doing this for is a relatively unknown one and one which people do not realise effects them directly.
I chose Sustrans because they are one charity who are trying to tackle one of the bigger issues facing our society, the fact that oil will soon run out and climate change will soon be unchangeable, an issue which people have a real tendency to simply ignore. We need to start walking instead of driving and get on our bikes, even in the winter. And we really need to make an effort if we are going to make a difference.
When I was in school I remember a teacher telling me that it would be my generation who it fell to to sort out the mess that the previous generations had made. What he told me was correct and that time is upon us. It's down to us, so lets not follow in our predecessors footsteps. We must sort this out now.
Since my last post, my employer's Atos Healthcare, have agreed to match any sponsorship raised, up to £200. This is a great boost to my cause and I greatly welcome their support. So please take advantage of this and follow the link to www.justgiving.com/davidbryan where you can donate and keep in mind that if you give £5 Atos will give £5. It all makes a difference.

No comments: